This is a service that allows schools to control their own web filtering policies above our WF1 baseline. There are no additional charges for using it. With this service you will be able to:
- Manage up to five of your own policies. A policy consists of a set of allowed and denied website categories and can include lists of specifically allowed or denied websites. The five policies are initially set as clones of the five central policies which you can modify for your own use.
- Deploy those policies to specific IP addresses within your school’s internal IP range.
- Create and run your own reports on web activity … but these reports will only be against the machine IP addresses and not against users.
You will not be able to:
- Change the category of any particular website. The categories apply across the whole HICS network so if you think a site is wrongly categorised you should contact the Service Desk.
- Make a site accessible if it is denied under the central WF1 policy (ie if it lies below the HICS baseline). If you believe that a site has been wrongly categorised so as to be below the baseline please contact the Service Desk.
- Apply your policies to particular users … this service does not integrate with your Windows Active Directory.
There’s a lot more detail about the Devolved IP level filtering in this document:
If you would like to use this service please contact the Service Desk. They will then liaise with Updata and once everything is ready (normally within a couple of days) they will send you your account login details so that you can begin to manage your own policies.